MLB Predictions 2016
- Toronto - A full year of Tulo and Marcus Stroman carries the Jays to consecutive AL East crowns for the first time since the Yankees won back-to-back in 2011 and 2012.
- Tampa Bay* - While they’re not Matt Harvey, Noah Syndergaard, and Jacob DeGrom, we saw last year what can happen when a team surrounds a lights out rotation with adequate hitting. Watch out for the Rays.
- Boston - The Sox get off to a rocky start with a tough April schedule, but fight back to third place by the end. Youth overcomes potholes when it’s all said and done.
- Baltimore - Manny Machado, Adam Jones, and Chris Davis mash the hell out of the ball, but their roster has too many holes to fill with Showalter magic.
- New York - So many potential ticking time bombs on this roster. Will the three-headed bullpen monster ever actually happen? Can Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez repeat their deal-with-the-devil 2015’s? I say no.
- Minnesota - Miguel Sano, Jose Berrios, Byron Buxton, and the young Twinkies capture a playoff spot a year early, just like the 2015 Astros
- Kansas City* - The magical run continues for the Royals because of their brand of putting the ball in play, running like hell, and clamping down the 7th, 8th, and 9th with their pen
- Chicago - This team will be in it right until the end. Chris Sale, Jose Abreu, and Todd Frazier are too talented for this team to fall too far
- Detroit - A bullpen upgrade brings the Tigers back into contention, but it’s not enough in the loaded AL Central
- Cleveland - Potential for a stumble and a fire sale by July.
- Houston - Potential to be better in 2016 than they were in 2015.
- Oakland - Seem to always outperform low expectations or underperform high expectations. Expectations are low entering 2016, so I’m expecting surprise playoff contention
- Texas - A bit of a step back after an overachieving 2015
- Los Angeles - One of these years, they’re going to get some balance in that roster behind Trout. It’s not this year.
- Seattle - Mariners have the worst record in the AL in 2016, and it’s not close.
Wildcard Game - Kansas City over Tampa Bay
Divisional Round - Houston over Kansas City
Toronto over Minnesota
AL Championship - Houston over Toronto
Manager of the Year - Kevin Cash
Rookie of the Year - Jose Berrios
Cy Young - Marcus Stroman
MVP - Carlos Correa
My National League predictions are going to be very quick, because I have about as much knowledge of the National League as my cat does, and my cat got run over by a car in January of 2015.
- Washington - Bounce back year for the talented Nationals
- Miami - If Jose Fernandez stays healthy and their outfield comes into their own, they could win it all
- NY Mets - Hard to repeat the 2015 magic, especially if Matt Harvey continues to be injury prone
- Atlanta - They traded everyone. You and I might get a call up come September.
- Philadelphia - Atlanta traded everyone on their major league roster and still will finish ahead of the Phillies.
- St. Louis - They always win this thing
- Chicago* - The trendy/sexy pick to win it all
- Pittsburgh - Don’t forget about these guys
- Milwaukee - Much improved over 2015
- Cincinnati - Putting some things together, but not nearly enough
- Arizona - Done a nice job with roster construction the last year or so.
- Los Angeles* - Can the on field product overcome the drama?
- San Francisco - It’s an even year, so I’m not sure why I’m not predicting playoffs for the Giants
- Colorado - Rox fans are going to need a lot of legal weed to forget this season
- San Diego - A whale’s vagina (I think this is the third straight year I’ve made this joke)
Wild Card - Los Angeles over Chicago - Sorry, Joe. Maybe try a new pair of glasses frames.
Divisional Round - Washington over Los Angeles
Arizona over St. Louis
NL Championship - Washington over Arizona
Manager of the Year - Chip Hale
Rookie of the Year - Corey Seager
Cy Young - Max Scherzer
MVP - Paul Goldschmidt
WORLD SERIES - Houston over Washington. The Astros complete their worst-to-first turnaround and win their first ever World Series championship.
Let’s Play Ball!!