As cold weather prepares to swing in Maine this week, the Hot Stove begins to heat up literally and figuratively. How about a round of 20 questions, pertaining to the Red Sox? Feel free to post your answers in the comments section below:
1. Only partially Sox related: Did the Deacon give any insight to the Duffer for his BDN letter to Ben Cherington?
2. Let's Go to the Zoo: Would you give Pablo "The Kung Fu Panda" Sandoval a 5+ year deal?
3. Ace in the Hole: Who will be the Sox "ace" in 2015: Jon Lester, Max Scherzer, James Shields, Cole Hamels, or Clay Buchholz?
4. A Man in a Gorilla Suit did What: Will Theo Epstein and the Cubs be a thorn in the Red Sox side this winter?
5. Our Pitching Staff...is mediocre: Assuming the Sox do not get Lester, Scherzer, Shields, or Hamels, what pitcher(s) are the Sox most likely to add to bolster their 2015 staff?
6. Our Pitching Staff...is oye: Which "kid" pitchers who auditioned in 2014 (Webster, Ranaudo, De La Rosa, Workman, Barnes) are most likely to be in the 2015 rotation?
7. Koji Time: After watching Koji Uehara struggle to the finish line in 2014, do you feel confident with him as the closer in 2015?
8. If Not Koji, how about Mujica Time: Is Edward Mujica the Sox closer if Koji cannot answer the bell?
9. Call to the Pen: Do the Sox re-sign Burke Badenhop?
10. Call to the Pen, Part II: Who makes up the 2015 Red Sox relief corps?
11. Jenny Dell is nice to look at: Does Jenny actually go through with it and tie the knot with a career .237 hitter? Is that .237 hitter still a member of the Red Sox in 2015?
Sidebar, I saw a recent Tweet from Jenny Dell at a Bruins game with her girlfriends. Lo and behold standing next to Jenny was an MCI alum whose parents live down the street from me. I'm thinking it is only a matter of time before Jenny is strolling the streets of Pittsfield!
12. At the Hot Corner: Who is the Red Sox 3rd baseman in 2015: Brock Holt, Will Middlebrooks, Pablo Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, Chase Headley, Garrin Cecchini, recently retired Kevin Youkilis, Cousin Jason?
13. Yoenis live once: Do the Sox trade Yoenis Cespedes this winter? If so, what is the return?
14. Nava miss an opportunity: Does OBP machine Daniel Nava make the 2015 Sox roster?
15. Glut-tony for Punishment: With a glut of OFers, where do Cespedes, Nava, Allen Craig, Rusney Castillo, Jackie Bradley, Jr., Shane Victorino, Mookie Betts, Bryce Brentz, and Alex Hassan begin 2015?
16. Backstop: What do the Red Sox do with Christian Vazquez and Blake Swihart?
17. Backstop Backup: Who is the Sox #2 catcher to start 2015?
18. A side of Chili: What impact will new hitting coach Chili Davis have on the Sox offense in 2015?
19. The Manager's Desk: After a World Series title and a last-place finish, what do we make of John Farrell's managerial skills?
20. Shortstop: Devin Marrero has had an excellent Arizona Fall League and been dubbed by many industry experts as Brandon Crawford II. Given this information many view Marrero as a nice trade chip. Let's go the other way, given Marrero's skills would you shop Xander Bogaerts?
Bonus: Which members of the last place Red Sox 40 man roster is not expendable?
I hope you all got an extra cord put away, it appears that the Hot Stove will need to be stoked frequently this winter. Enjoy!