Our owners are running a business. That by itself is not a crime or even bad ownership. We want them to make as much revenue as possible so long as they put money into the team, which they have always done. The major mistake of this ownership group is that they allowed the business side of their job get intertwined with the baseball operations department. This must be what Theo Epstein always referred to as "the Monster". Theo's quotes in the book confirm this. This also must be what Ben Cherington meant when he said that the Red Sox became undisciplined with their decision making. They got seduced by "sexy" players and lost their discipline. They got seduced by TV ratings and marketing research and that has nothing to do with winning baseball games. The ownership group should have taken a page out of Robert Kraft's book and let the people in their organization that were responsible for building a baseball team do their job. When Kraft hired Bill Belichick he stayed out of his way. Belichick produced a winner and then the team become popular with fans and television audiences.
This is what Henry and Co. need to do. Stay out of Ben Cherington and the baseball operations departments way for three years and let them build a winner. If they haven't done that after three years then fire them and hire someone that can build you a winner. They need to take their "organizaational meetings" and market research and stick it up their soccer team.
Other Red Sox news:
- Jon Heyman of CBS sports is reporting that the Red Sox and Mike Napoli are making progress and should have an agreement by sometime next week. (After Martin Luther King Day)
- The Portland Sea Dogs have re-upped their agreement with the Sox through 2018
- Vicente Padilla is heading to Japan (not sure if there's any truth to the rumor that he's going there to fight samurai warriors with his machete)
- Nine Red Sox players filed for arbitration (basically non news, they'll all agree to terms prior to arbitration and be on the Red Sox this year)
- The Red Sox still should be in the market for a LH hitting 1B/OF and SP depth