As you can tell between the return of school and the continued struggles of the Sox it has become increasingly difficult for the RSM to post new content, even looking in the cooler is becoming tougher as the games go by. We'll give it a go though and see what we got iced down this week.
- Since in-service began today for Cousin Jason, let's reflect on the summer. Great weather, plenty of quality time spent with the youngsters, good summer!
1. The drama continued last week with reports of "the meeting" in New York at the end of July. Let me go on record as saying who gives a flying (expletive). I wrote something similar to this upon my return from Fenway in the wake of the Josh Beckett saga, let's just play baseball and stop worrying about all of the other minutiae.
2. We have mentioned that Xander Boegaerts has been promoted to AA Portland where he is tearing the cover off the baseball. The Sea Dogs are stocked with a whose who of Sox prospects right now with Boegaerts, Bradley, Brentz, Travis Shaw, and Company. The Dogs are home the next 2 weekends to close out the season, if you get a chance to get to Hadlock Field do so and catch these future Sox. I believe the Cousin Jason clan is looking into a Labor Day weekend trip. Hopefully, Jackie Bradley who was hurt (ankle) running the bases in New Britain last night will be healthy by then. According to Manager Kevin Boles via Kevin Thomas of the Portland Press Herald's twitter Bradley is day to day.
3. Happy Trails to Bob McClure, it appears that he gets to go on an Aerosmith album..."Permanent Vacation." Not sure that this move will benefit the Sox over the final 6 weeks but this move has been obvious since McClure and Bobby V's struggle to co-exist became known. The dismissal of the pitching coach did lead to our Beat Writer Tweet of the Week with the King of Social Media Pete Abe chiming in with "No word on the job status of Troy McClure." Anytime you make a Simpson's reference, it's a solid tweet!
4. Carl Crawford has been shut down to get Tommy John surgery in order to be ready for 2013. Best of luck to CC. This has led to the return of Daniel Nava, in the line-up DHing to open the Angels series. The line-up has been juggled tonight to include Ciriaco leading off, Pedroia second, and Ellsbury third. Apparently, this is the first time Ells has ever hit 3rd as a pro. In other moves, Vicente Padilla, the Nicaraguan Nightmare has been activated and Danny Valencia has been optioned.
5. Jimmy Fund Telethon is going on today. What a great cause the Sox have been part of for decades. A model for all of Major League Baseball.
6. This week will decide the fate of the Sox in September, a string of victories will most assuredly lead to another month of the same and a string of defeats will probably lead to the chance to see some of the kids play including Jose Iglesias. As much as we would love to see the Sox streak into the post-season probably need to play the kids to see what we have to work with for 2013.
Until next week, Go Sox!