The Red Sox (21-22) and Orioles (28-16) will conclude their three-game series today during a day game at Boog's BBQ...er, I mean Camden Yards. Daniel Bard (3-5, 4.85 ERA) will take the hill of thrills today for the Red Sox, while the O's will counter with right-hander Jake Arrieta (2-4, 4.72 ERA). Bard and Arrieta have very similar numbers so far on the season. Last night's game featured some outstanding pitching. It will be interesting to see if these two young right-handers can continue that trend. Here are some story lines for today's game:
- According to an article today by Brian MacPherson, Bard has been working on his mechanics and release point to try to cut down on the number of walks and overall wildness he has shown in recent starts. Let's hope he can keep the free passes to a minimum today.
- The lineup will once again feature Gonzo in RF, Youk at 1B, Willie Middle at 3B, and Papi at DH. No matter what Ben Cherington said about this alignment not being an everyday thing, as long as Gonzo doesn't embarrass himself in RF, the Sox are going to want to get all four of those bats in the lineup. I'm one guy who thinks this arrangement may be more of an everyday thing that they are willing to admit at the present time.
- Will the O's bullpen continue to be lights-out against the Sox, with the exception of Gregg?
- Speaking of Gregg, is there any residual bitterness lurking beneath the surface with the O's and Big Papi that might come to a head today?
- Can the Red Sox climb back to .500 and win a series against the O's for the first time in way too long?
- What will Scott Podsednik bring to the Sox lineup, basepaths, and center field?
- Will the get-away-to-home day game feature lackadaisical play or a low-scoring game?
We'll be keeping an eye on these story lines and more, from the comfort of our desks at work/school today. Here is today's lineup:
Leave your comments in the section below. Let's Go Sox!!