Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Aceves is Awesome
A couple items of note in Gordon Edes' column tonight on ESPNBoston.com:
- Sounds like Art may have hit the nail on the head in terms of the reasoning behind 13 pitchers: "Valentine said he not only didn't expect to go with 13 pitchers through the season, he may not go past this road trip, a six-game tour of Detroit and Toronto" so after the early off-days maybe they will swap a pitcher for a utility man. Don't stop believing Ciriaco!
- Aceves is the best. Although I'm a little disappointed with his nickname of "Ace". I would have gone with "Fettuccine"...you know, Alfredo? Although I would probably then be punched in the face, and it would be embarrassing to be punched by a man named Fettuccine.
- Anywho, here are some gems from the column: "I'm real excited -- of course I am," he said. "It doesn't look like it, I know. I have a pretty bad face. But I'm [happy] and pretty excited." Gold.
- Then Edes asked Ace if he would need to make an adjustment to become a closer, to which Ace replied "None. None. None." Then Edes asked if having four pitches would be an advantage, to which Ace replied, "You will see". Finally, Edes asked what his entrance music from the bullpen would be, to which Ace replied, "You will hear". A journalist's dream, that Fettuccine is.
- Needless to say, I am very excited for every single column featuring quotes from Aceves this season.
Here is the video from csnne.com with these quotes and a few more gems from Fettuccine's teammates: